Get Free Get Clear Get Moving with The Vision Manifestation Queen Podcast
Do you have a Sandpaper Sally, Porcupine Patty, Horrible Harry or Jabbing Jimmy in your circle of friends, family, colleagues or associates? Sally, Patty, Harry and Jimmy have something in common. These personalities all have a critical spirit. Sally can’t wait to say something that diminishes how you feel about yourself. Patty says things that cause you to feel like you were stabbed in the heart. Harry is hateful and hurtful. Jimmy takes verbal jabs at you every opportunity he gets.
When you come in contact with these people, do you…
- Shrink back?
- Roll your eyes in disgust when you see them coming?
- Take a big breath and sigh?
- Tense up and then your body language change to a defensive stance?
- Change your entire demeanor?
- Think of terrible things you can do to torture them so they will just shut up?
Today we are talking about How to Prevent Thistles and Thorns of a Critical Spirit from Slowing Down Your Momentum.
We’re going to talk about:
- What causes a critical spirit?
- How a critical spirit is developed?
- How a critical spirit affects the very core of your being?
- What you can do to keep those with a critical spirit from affecting you?
Why is this topic even on this podcast you may ask? Well, I have met so many people who have the potential to manifest what God has given them to manifest, but the seeds of loved ones or others in their circle who were overly critical continues to grow in their minds. Therefore, no action is taken. These seeds cause talented and skilled women to be stagnant, sitters on the sidelines, and scared which results in misery. Misery because they know they were called to do something bigger and better. I have a problem with anything and anybody interfering with God’s work.
What causes a critical spirit?
Living in an environment where there is constant criticism or spending a lot of time in such an environment where criticism is modeled. I heard it said once that with children more is caught than taught. It can also come from past negative experiences that hurt.
How does a critical spirit develop?
- Unanticipated anger
- Unremitting stress
- Undue pressure
- Unending fear
- Unfair comparison
- Undeserved condemnation
- Ungrounded guilt
- Unjust rejection
- Unmerited blame
- Unreasonable control
- Unwarranted attacks
- Unsubstantiated accusation
Wow! What a lot of UNs.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Individuals with a critical spirit have a tendency to have unfair standards and expectations of others. Therefore, it is important that you let God be your compass to determine the standards He wants you to adhere to.
- You don’t have to let other people’s criticism penetrate the core of your being. Refuse it. Vomit it back up. You have permission to do so. You can choose life or death. A person with a critical spirit can kill your spirit to manifest. It can kill your momentum. Don’t let it.
- A person who has a habit of criticizing others appears to be one of boldness and strength. The truth is using criticism to build yourself up and break others down is a weapon of the weak, not one of the strong.
- Choose not to be murdered by other people’s mouth. Strong I know. But that is what happens every time you allow someone’s critical words cut you up and shut you down. Yes, it hurts and pierces your spirit. But you can choose to take captive their shared thoughts because they are contrary to God’s will and way. Take personal responsibility for what you allow to penetrate your space.
- Pray for them and choose not to reciprocate the toxic behavior.
- Maintain a clean heart by confessing any negative feelings toward this person to God.
- Make a decision that you will not lower your standards to match the person with the critical spirit’s low standard
All criticism is not bad. Welcome constructive criticism because it can be helpful. Repel condemning criticism because it can be hurtful. Choose not to allow others to put an end to what God has given you permission to manifest. Love those with a critical spirit from a distance. Pray for them. You have a choice, either receive the critic’s sharp and damaging words, or repel it. Remember that a person who has a habit of criticizing others appear to be one of boldness and strength. Actually they are using a weapon of the weak.
Would you like to dig a little deeper on dealing with a person with a critical spirit? I have created a Dig Deeper Worksheet for you.
- Romans 14:10 (NLT) – So why do you condemn another believer? Why do you look down on another believer? Remember, we will all stand before the judgment seat of God
- Proverbs 18:21 (NLT) – The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (ESV) – Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
- Proverbs 12:18 – There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
- Proverbs 11:12 – Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.
- Colossians 4:6 (NIV) – Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)- Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- Isaiah 2:22 – Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?
- John 12:43 that says, “For they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.
- Matthew 5:44(ESV) – But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
I want to encourage you to get free of the vision blockers, get clear of exactly where you are and where God wants you to be, so you can GET MOVING! God bless and remember to choose to ENJOY your day.
Nanette Floyd Patterson, LPC, Master HIScoach™